Login     Search     Arcade     Chat     FAQ     Contact
Gallery    Portal    Home    * Medals    Doubloons     Forum         Cpt's Store

Board index » General Discussions » Geocaching Topics

Post subject: Blackheart Joe and the 21st Century
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 am 
Cabin Hand
Cabin Hand

Cash on hand: 118.00
Bank: 1,442.00

Blackheart Joe is a Pirate who is featured in several of my caches. If you click on the link, you'll see that two of the 4 are now archived, so I've been thinking about putting out some more.

The original 4 caches are: Blackheart Joe's Lair (archived), where it turns out, BHJ left his lucky message in a bottle (complete with a log in the neck of the bottle) behind; Blackheart Joe's Revenge (newly archived), where the cacher learns BHJ is fiercely protective of his treasure chest, going so far as to leave a geocache in the skull of his brother who was bragging about the treasure; Blackheart Joe Marooned, where BHJ relates how he was marooned for not giving up his treasure chest (the container is a pirate ship, representing the one that left him behind); and Blackheart Joe's Chest, which is a treasure chest with a secret lock, the coordinates only findable after a multi-layered puzzle that you have to gather info from all the BHJ caches in order to solve. BHJ promised "ye will rot before ye figure (it) out."

My first new BHJ cache will be "Blackheart Joe and the Brass Monkey." I'll be using a story based on the supposed origins (which turn out not to be true) of the phrase "It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." The container is a miniature cannon, complete with a cannon ball.

I'll probably rehide the container from BHJ's Lair, title it "Blackheart Joe's Message in a Bottle." This was my original title, but when I stumbled across the "Lair" I had to change the title.

This brings us to the title of the thread: Blackheart Joe and the 21st Century. The story is that BHJ is finally convinced that he is living in the 21st century. He places a cache to mark this, as well another event, that the cacher must figure out in order to get the correct coordinates. What I don't have is a proper "pirate-in-the-21st-century" themed container. I'm looking for suggestions.

This all will, of course, lead to another puzzle. I'm still thinking about what to do for that, so if anyone has any burning ideas. . . :fdev:

3 of the 4 original containers (the skull is MIA):

Post subject: Re: Blackheart Joe and the 21st Century
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:11 pm 
Ships Master
Ships Master

Cash on hand: 751.00

Hmmm.

21st century Pirate = electronic Pirate. Movies, music, programs, data...

Binary can lend itself to some interesting puzzles.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 am 
Cabin Hand
Cabin Hand

Cash on hand: 118.00
Bank: 1,442.00

Could be a cool puzzle, I might have to change what I've been thinking about doing for the puzzle to include that.

In the meantime, for those who weren't in chat when I got the notification emails, Blackheart Joe & the Brass Monkey is active. :pshoot:

So, any thoughts on what I should use as a container with a "21st Century Pirate" theme?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:56 am 
Pirate King
Pirate King

Cash on hand: 2,645.00
Bank: 21,906.70

Medals: 3
1000th Post (1)
How exposed to the weather will it be? Weatherproofed limits the container choices considerably.

Find more details and items in the profil of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Board index » General Discussions » Geocaching Topics